
BBC Amharic reports that sexual violence has been widespread in Ethiopia’s Amhara region since unrest began in 2015, with allegations that many attacks were carried out by government forces. Journalists working for the service say they contacted survivors, health professionals and other sources who describe an epidemic of rape and sexual assault linked to the conflict between federal forces and local Fano fighters.
According to the BBC’s compilation of records from 43 health facilities, 2,697 people sought care for rape between July 18, 2015 and May 2017; roughly 45 percent of those were children and adolescents. Health staff told the BBC that more than half of reported victims were diagnosed with sexually transmitted infections, and many faced pregnancy and severe psychological trauma. Doctors and public-health experts expressed concern about delayed treatment, limited access to emergency contraception and post-exposure prophylaxis, and disruption of services because of insecurity and road closures.
Survivors described attacks in homes, on roads and near towns where security forces had established camps. Health workers and data reviewed by the BBC indicated that allegations of sexual violence have been made against both sides involved in the fighting, but that many clinicians encountering survivors identified government soldiers more often than Fano fighters as the perpetrators. The BBC notes that its reporting was constrained by restricted access to parts of the region and that many victims do not report assaults because of stigma, fear or breakdowns in law and order.
International and local human rights actors have previously documented and raised alarm about sexual violence in the context of the conflict. The BBC reports that attempts to obtain comment from senior Ethiopian Defense Forces officials went unanswered, while representatives of Fano denied responsibility and said their ranks punish sexual assault. A government-sanctioned academic team has been reported to be studying sexual violence in the region, with results expected to be published.
Health professionals interviewed by the BBC warned of broader social and public-health consequences if assaults go untreated and perpetrators are not held accountable, pointing to worsening mental-health outcomes, increased risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, and long-term harm to survivors and communities. Human rights groups cited by the BBC say that a meaningful accountability response has been lacking.